Sunday, November 30, 2008

Kotatsu (table) fun

Hello All,

Here are the pics of our kotatsu. This is a Japanese table which has a heater built into the bottom. 

Around the edges of the table, there is a skirt (futon) that holds the heat in. You sit on the ground and put your legs under the futon and enjoy the warmth. 

In Japan, houses are not well insolated, and are in fact quite freezing cold. Ours is very drafty, and cold during the winter. A kerosene heater is used in one room generally, to warm the area that is used most often for living. 

Anyways, using the kotatsu is not to expensive,and is a great family building time. Here are some pics of the kids using our new kotatsu. The old one I have up stairs, and I use it when teaching students. They seem to love it, and one is talking about buy a new one for her family. Sad that 9 and 12 year old Japanese kids don't have a kotatsu. That is what I am here for, to remind Japanese to have there Japanese tables again for their kids. 

I love my kotatsu!!! We will try to ship this guy how some time, then you can all love our kotatsu too.





The kids relaxing under the new kotatsu.













Enjoy, Steve


No comments: